Thursday, May 29, 2014

Bread

During the Easter Season we have celebrated the Sacrament of the Eucharist. Can you remember back to when you received your 1st Communion? I have vague memories of that special day. I remember I was very excited and nervous. And I made my 1st Communion when Catholics were still fasting at least 3 hours prior to Mass, so that had me worried I would eat or drink something and then I wouldn’t be able to be part of the 1st Communion Mass. At least now an hour fast is not as worrisome. You did know we are supposed to fast for an hour before Mass right? I also remember wondering if the host would stick to roof of my mouth and then what would I do to get it off since to touch it would be a disaster. We have come a long way since then but the traditions are still with us even if the way things are done have change a bit.

To make bread we need to use yeast. Yeast is a fungus, and is a living thing. As the yeast slowly grows throughout the dough it gives off carbon dioxide which in turn expands the dough or makes it rise. A long time ago people kept a lump of yeast alive by feeding it. Yes, I said feeding it. They did that by adding flour and water. Whenever they wanted to make bread they would take a small lump from the yeast. Once in a while the yeast lump would become contaminated with other funguses and have to be thrown out. When that happened they would borrow some from a neighbor.

Every year at Passover the Hebrew people get rid of all things that contain yeast that they have in their homes. They do this as a sign of new beginnings. It is not exactly the same but this could be likened to how the New Year is celebrated in our culture. We try to throw out old habits by making resolutions.

The bread that becomes the Body of Christ at the Consecration is unleavened like the bread at Passover. Have you ever wondered why that is? It is a tradition we take from our Jewish ancestors for sure, but another reason may come from St. Paul who more or less said in 1 Corinthians 5:6-8, that stinky contaminated yeast is like the rotten things we do or in other words sin. So we should toss out those things that are contaminated and start over fresh like unleavened bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment